Saturday, March 13, 2010

Money Well Spent

While preparing to do my taxes I had a chance to really examine the information I received from Penbrook Church regarding my donation to their One Heart Charity which provides the sponsorship opportunity and funds to God's Town.

Here are some of the details I'd like to share: the charity directly supports 11children living at God's Town, 4 assisted that live in the nearby city and 4 staff.

More specifically these generous dollars were used for the following purposes:
- constructing a motorcycle cart to haul livestock at God's Town
- constructing a wall to prevent flooding
- constructing a 3rd piggery to expand the pig breeding program
- 2 bicycles, sewing machine, dryer, refrigerator, lawn mower
- 36 fruit and nut trees
- doctor visits, medicine, food and drinking water
- school fees for 10 children
- transportation costs for school and farming
- 3 semesters of college for 2 children

In addition 7 boxes of food, household goods and school supplies were shipped over by container shipping during the year at a cost of $110 each.

Money spent on the animals has developed a substantial breeding program with 3 breeder sows, their own boar and first water buffalo calf. The chicken raising program continues too.

Sponsor's donations have also enabled the children of God's Town to be involved in many community programs and projects such as plays, parades, scouts and you remember Sebio went to prom. Many activities kids here in the states take for granted. Shouldn't all kids do fun stuff like enjoy popcorn.

Donations are directly developing a producing farm and animal breeding program which means less reliance on charity in the future. A promise has also been made to the 7 children who will be graduating high school over the next 3 years that we will help them with advanced education including the one who wants to be a doctor.

I've been asked why these children there and I guess my answer would be because I saw a picture. A picture of a face and other faces that I thought could use my help and because why many people give, because someone asked. Not only did Sebio's face in that picture touch my heart but Linda, Becky and others who were already working with the children at God's Town asked; "can you help?" and we did. It's not just giving them money but helping to make them independent and self-sufficient.

And now I'm asking, can you help? I will be bringing back pictures, stories and information about the children, God's Town and probably countless ways you can help. Perhaps you don't want to sponsor a child on an ongoing basis but there are numerous needs they have there. Children must be clothed and provided with food, educated and how great they can be a part of scouts and go to a prom. I will surely learn that I take far too much for granted in my life and will want to do more but if others help too think of all we can do.

And why these children there?....

because they need us AND I'm asking.


Tax deductable donations made payable to One Heart can be sent to the church at:
Penbrook United Church of Christ
56 Banks Street, Harrisburg, PA 17103

1 comment:

  1. Interesting someone would ask "Why these children"? I should think "How did you find them?" would be more appropriate. All children regardless of age or ethnic background deserve a chance in life. The mere basics that we take for granted food, warmth, shelter and clean water so many children are lacking.

    Thank God the children at this home do have the basics but they need more to insure that they have the education and care to build a "whole" life. I believe this part large organizations cannot support.

    This is the part of life development loving people like you & Aaron step up to the plate open your heart and through action show this child you unconditionally care.

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete