Monday, March 22, 2010

LOOK OUT: HERE THEY COME

Let the games begin as they say. Very soon 3 wild and crazy women (Linda, Becky and I) will descend on the Philippines. This trio includes 1 very seasoned international traveler, 1 somewhat versed international traveler and then there is the Babydux (that would be me), following behind never having left US soil ever before. And to say I’m nervous is an understatement.

Our final destination will be the Visayas region and ultimately the delightfully smiling faces of the children at God’s Town and for me personally Sebio. Linda said all along “you can’t just send money and sponsor a child, you’ve got to go and actually meet him” and very soon I really will.

Linda, Becky and I leave this weekend. From what I hear the children at God’s Town are excited beyond belief. They have been counting down the days til our arrival. Hmmm, sort of sounds like me, but then again most of you know I’m a kid at heart.

Right now I’m experiencing and repeating the grumbles I heard from Linda while she packed over a week ago trying to fit 100lbs. of “stuff”, not exactly the word she used, into the 50lbs. allowable for my checked bag. Hopefully my personal necessities will fit on my carry on bags.

I’d like to say I’ll be able to send updates for the blog while I’m away but not sure if or how that will happen. I do expect one day we’ll visit a nearby town that has an Internet cafe where I can not only show Sebio this blog that has been about him and his co-children, but have him put his own post up as well. So please check in to see when that happens because I doubt I'll send an alert but ya never know.

I am also going to try and complete a project with all the children by having them make drawings about things that make them happy then bringing those pictures back and turning them into note cards. We’ll use the cards to thank donors and possibly sell them to raise more money for projects at God’s Town.

Speaking of a project that is going to be one of my tasks while I am there to see what types of projects I can submit to foundations and donors for funding. Linda has already mentioned the need for a water tower there so I’ll get all the details and a budget in order to submit the request to funding sources.

Seeing as I have a bazillion things to do before we depart I don’t know if this will be my last USA post. If it is I hope you will keep the 3 of us in your thoughts for a safe, fun and productive trip. Talk to you all when I can. As Tigger would say; TTFN – Ta Ta For Now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Best Wishes to you, Linda, and Becky on your exciting long-awaited trip! Don't worry..those people that wind up the propellers on the plans make sure they wind them REALLY tight so they'll make it all the way across the ocean! lol!
    Seriously, this will be such an exciting trip for you all and I wish you safe travels and many many warm memories from your encounters there. Bring back lots of pictures to share. You are wonderful people to do this for others in need!
    Take care,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your blog, this is the first chance I have had, we've been preparing for a Bridal Expo.

    Love to read your comments and as I know the sound of your voice it's almost as though I am having a conversation with you. This must be one of the most exciting times of your life, other than meeting Aaron's plane when the two of you met face to face for the first time. I remember it well.

    I know you are nervous and frightened but please remember one thing. In all of your endeavors concerning love you have been guided and protected by a strong higher power and it will not fail you now. Make your trip in peace and safety because it could be no other way. Know it, feel it because it is so. It's a given.

    I look forward to your blogs while you are away.

    BB (Bright Blessings)

    Sheryl

    PS: So sorry about the blasted chocolate my mind is such a sieve.

    ReplyDelete