Saturday, November 14, 2009

Baby Duck Revealed

Well, since no one wanted to play along and guess where the blog title came from here goes the story:

I do believe the origin of all this dates back to a September 10, 2008 email from Linda in Pa who wrote: "you really should consider a trip over...Sebio will be graduating and that would be the trip of a lifetime". Yeah right, sure thing I could see myself doing that especially after the presentation she and Ms. Bicky gave regarding their last trip over together about some of the conditions there; hot weather, loss of electricity, climbing out taxi mini bus type transportation and more. Na, I don't think so, I'll just support Sebio from afar as best as I can.

Now I've seen Linda and Ms. Bicky on occasions when Aaron and I have gone to see his family in PA. There were always mentions (proddings) of my going with them to meet Sebio and his co-children. And my response has always been that is just not for me, I'm a wuss.

Then came a June 1, 2009 email that she and Ms. Bicky had been tracking air fares and they were the lowest they had seen in a long time to the Philippines, they were planning a trip and did I want to go with them? I told Linda she never seems to give up but for some reason this time I was having second thoughts about actually going. Could I do it? Would I be able to deal with going to a country that didn't have all the creature comforts of home? But if I went I could actually meet our Sebio and give him hugs, perhaps even see him graduate high school.

So, on June 2, after an interesting phone conversation with Linda I said yes, I would go. But I'm sure some of you may be saying but Dawn where does this Baby Duck thing come from? It comes after reading the church bulletin where Linda always includes an article about the children at God's Town. This one in particular not only included a story but a picture...a picture of the boys holding the 11ft python snake one of the boys, Eric had killed on the property.

Oh yeah, and this is where I'm going...seriously? I immediately shot off an email to Linda and kept asking seriously an 11 ft. snake to which she replied: "I have never seen a snake when I was there...but I know they have lots of them including cobras. When you're walking you just make noise so they know you're coming and they will leave. There are some big spiders...and some REALLY big rats in some places. Don't worry Ms. Bicky and I will protect you." ending the email with:

"IT'S A WHOLE NEW WORLD FOR YOU BABY DUCK"

So from that point on I've been Baby Duck, BD for short, and there you have it. I figured since this probably is going to be one of, if not THE biggest adventure of my life what better name for the blog. I want to continue blogging about not only Sebio and his co-children but my preparation for this big adventure I'll be taking. Aaron will not be going it will be the 3 of us.

By the way, the Baby Duck name is quite flattering given my age of 50, how cool to be considered a baby of some sort!

Next time: my long distance project with Sebio and frightening trip prep

1 comment:

  1. And now we know "the rest of the story," as Paul Harvey used to say. Thanks for enlightening us, and keep your tales coming!

    ReplyDelete