Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sebio: Drummer & Our Photo Journalist

First I want to apologize for my posts being so long but I tend to get rather passionate when I start talking about Sebio and the other children at God's Town. I also promise to eventually tell all those who have been asking what the blog title means....just not today!! I've got to keep you coming back for something, right?

So in my efforts to keep this post shorter it will be mostly pictures many of them taken by Sebio himself. This was a fun project. When Linda was making her last trip over there, earlier this year, I sent with her 3 disposable cameras and asked her to give them to Sebio. With the cameras were the instructions that he should take pictures of anything and everything. Then he should send the cameras back with Ma'am Linda (which is how they refer to her) and I would have them developed. This all worked as planned but to my initial dismay there was nothing with the cameras, no note, descriptions, nothing. UNTIL, one night while I was home alone and for some reason realized the cameras, neatly packed back in the boxes they travelled over there in were numbered and taped shut. Now I hadn't done that so I started to untape and investigate. The first one yielded a piece of paper inside with notes to us and highlights of what was on the camera. So then it became like Christmas because each and every box had a note!!

Since I titled this Sebio, Drummer this first picture obviously wasn't taken by him because it is him. We recently sent him an instructional book and dvd about playing drums which I we just heard he loves and is using often.




Of course with each letter describing the pictures he wrote things like: "Thank you that you are my sponsor who support me, I have many pictures are very nice for you". He writes "this our cat the color are white and orange."




This is one of the building at GT and the bike pictured, to the left will be used by a couple of the older boys to go to school.








And then there was the night filled with popcorn making and eating fun.





One of the infamous carabou.







One of his co-children getting bamboo for use at the pig roast they had. Sebio wrote: "I like the roast pig but I forgot to take a picture of it." Remember they raise many of their own animals, fruits and veggies.



Sebio writes of this final picture: "This is the restaurant in town where we went to lunch." Linda later relayed to me, when she finally got to see the pictures, that it was a really good day on their trip into town.




I want to end this post with something Sebio wrote in one of the notes found with the cameras but first I must preface it with this. Aaron and I both wear bracelets that he got while in Iraq. We had an extra one so I asked Linda to deliver it to Sebio. It included a note telling him we wanted him to have it and that we both have them too and it would be a kind of connection between the 3 of us. Here was his response to this small gift: "I thank you for the bracelet you send me. This is good remembrance for you. When I grow up and wherever I go I will remember to you. It is a good simple things of me."

Next time: Prom and what's up with the baby duck thing!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying these pictures and comments, especially the idea of the pixie sticks! Good thinking, Baby Dux!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post! Including the photos was genius - thanks for sharing them with us, as well as Sebio's comments. Thanks also for the update about the flooding - that was good news. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite his circumstances early on, he seems to be thriving and happy now. It really seems like a wonderful place from what you have written-- and all the photos! And of course the help you and Aaron give him doesn't hurt either. =)

    ReplyDelete